The Parent Association is a representative body of both junior and senior parents — NCSSM’s version of a PTA. The Association is excited to support school activities by organizing volunteer service opportunities for parents and guardians and by acting as a collective voice for parents’ interests. All parents are automatically members of the Parent Association and there are no accompanying dues.
We’ve got a slate of gatherings throughout the year when we rely on parent support — from welcoming the newest NCSSM families and cheering on our students, to thanking staff and celebrating accomplishments, there are many ways for parents to get involved!
- Fundraising: Reaches out to other parents to reinforce the importance of financially supporting NCSSM through the Parents Excellence Society. Raises funds for Parent Association special events like the Annual Employee Appreciation Luncheon Event.
- Volunteerism: Organizes and/or serves at school events or with initiatives such as Family Day, Counseling Services and Clinic support, Employee Appreciation Luncheon, Welcome Day, and the Commencement and Online Recognition Receptions. Important roles include serving as event greeters, special event planning and logistics, and collecting donations of supplies for special events. An up-to-date list of volunteer opportunities can be found here if you are signed into your NCSSM family email account and are also communicated via digital school newsletters.
- Communications: Reaches out to other parents to convey information from the school, and relays parent concerns and suggestions to the school. Communicates with school leaders, legislative members and others to increase positive public awareness of NCSSM.
- Spread the word! A very important way that the Parent Association supports the school is by spreading the word and telling others about NCSSM. From neighbors who may have students considering applying to one of our programs, to local legislators and school leaders, our parents help us increase positive public awareness of NCSSM.
Meeting Schedule (2023-2024)
To keep our parent body informed and involved, the Parent Association meets once in the summer to welcome new and returning members and four times during the school year. All meetings are held by videoconference. Mark these dates on your calendars as we’d love to have you join us! And if you are unable to attend a meeting, stay in the loop by viewing meeting minutes and recordings below (please allow two weeks for the minutes and recording to be posted). Please log in to your NCSSM Blackbaud account to access the minutes and/or any recordings.
- Tuesday, June 27, 2023 (6:30-8 p.m.): Back-to-School Preview Meeting | Recording, Minutes, and Q&A Session
- Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2023 (6:30-8 p.m.): Q1 Meeting | You will need to be signed into your NCSSM family email account to view the meeting materials.
- Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2023 (6:30-8 p.m.): Q2 Meeting | Recording and Minutes will be posted within two weeks of the meeting.
- Tuesday, March 12, 2024 (6:30-8 p.m.): Q3 Meeting | Recording and Minutes will be posted within two weeks of the meeting.
- Tuesday, May 7, 2024 (6:30-8 p.m.): Q4 Meeting | Recording and Minutes will be posted within two weeks of the meeting.