Join us in education, celebrations, and community
Whether you can lend a hand to register participants, send in a platter of food for hungry students, or more, we welcome parent and alumni volunteer assistance to connect our campus community!
- Families: We love to see current NCSSM families on campus and an up-to-date list of volunteer opportunities can be found here. (To view the document please ensure that you are signed into your NCSSM family account.) Opportunities for involvement are also communicated directly to your NCSSM family email account via digital school newsletters.
- Alumni: NCSSM Alumni are always welcome to volunteer on campus! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.
Counseling Services and Clinic Amazon Wish Lists
NCSSM Counseling Services works to create an inviting and comforting environment during Wellness Wednesdays, a time for students to unwind, reflect, and have fun. Similarly, the clinic on each campus provides care and support to students when they are living in residence. Wish lists are distributed to current families at the beginning of each semester. No contribution is too small, and any items that you contribute are so appreciated! Thank you!
Each residence hall has a different means of seeking family volunteers. Whether providing a meal for your student’s hall, or contributing via a wish list, parental involvement is always appreciated! Contact your student’s Community Coordinator if you are interested in contributing. If you do not know who your child’s Community Coordinator is and would like more information, contact Trish Aiello (Constituent Liaison).
Each September, NCSSM invites Residential and Online families to campus for a fun and informative Family Day! On Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023, join us to meet your child’s instructors, counselors, and other key campus members, while getting a first-person feel for your student’s schedule.
During October and November, the Admissions Department hosts Open House events on both the Durham and Morganton Campuses for the incoming Class of ’26. Parent and alumni volunteers ensure that the event runs smoothly and are a welcoming and enthusiastic presence to the newest prospective students and families of our community.
The NCSSM Powwow is a public, family-friendly event featuring music, dance, arts, crafts and food. The event hosts American Indian dancers, musicians, and artists from across North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. This is a fantastic way to learn about and celebrate the region’s rich American Indian culture.
- Families: A member of the Parent Association Executive Committee will send information about volunteering to your NCSSM family email account in January 2024.
Employee Appreciation Luncheon Celebration
An annual favorite among faculty and staff is the Employee Appreciation Luncheon, held on both the Durham and Morganton campuses! Hosted by the Parent Association (spring 2024 date TBD), this event is a fun opportunity to lead as an event co-chair or serve on the day-of execution team to bring cheer and thanks to members of Team NCSSM!
- Families: Our event co-chairs will email information about how to get involved to your NCSSM family email account in late December 2023. Interested in being an event co-chair? Please email Trish Aiello for details.
We officially welcome newly admitted students and their families to campus as brand-new Unicorns and Dragons in April and May! Volunteers help us meet, connect, and answer questions for our new parents.
- More details and information about signing up to volunteer will be available mid-March 2024.
Commencement and Online Recognition Celebrations
Our most exciting celebrations on May 24, 25 and 26, 2024 (subject to change) include the annual tradition of junior class parents delivering a very fond farewell to our seniors, their families, and other guests. This event brings a great volunteer opportunity to “pay it forward” to your student’s senior classmates by serving on the day-of execution team. You won’t want to miss out on the celebratory energy of this special day as the Class of 2024 marks their accomplishment.
- More information will be shared in the late spring of 2024.
Summer Information Sessions
Regional Summer Information Sessions are a series of gatherings targeted toward different geographic areas of our state. These events — hosted in person on UNC System school campuses — are designed for incoming juniors and their families to meet other Durham, Morganton and Online families, recent alumni, and school staff members to learn about how to prepare for life as a member of NCSSM’s community!
- Email Trish Aiello for more information.