High School Preparation
Students interested in applying to NCSSM, please see the below information for preparing and submitting an application.
Students can only complete and submit an application for admission to the Residential and Online programs once during their academic career. We encourage first and second-year high school students to use the following information to prepare for the application process:
- Families are required to be legal residents of the state of North Carolina by December 1, of the applicant’s second year of high school. Please visit the Residency Determination Services (RDS) to see if you are eligible for enrollment.
- Students must be in their second year of high school to apply to the residential programs (NCSSM-Durham and/or NCSSM-Morganton), and NCSSM-Online.
- Students must be in their second or third year of high school to apply to Summer Ventures.
- Students are required to create or have a College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC.org) account.
- Apply through CFNC.org to the program(s) of choice. (Application opens on October 15, 2023, and closes on January 5, 2024)
- Demonstrate an interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) as determined by participation in clubs, competitions, supplemental programs, leadership positions, and other related activities.
- Strive and achieve above-average grades in high school courses.
- Enroll in accelerated and challenging courses.
- Contact high school teachers and current high school counselors to secure evaluations (applicants only).
- Prepare for the NCSSM math test (second-year high school students who submit an application for NCSSM-Durham and/or NCSSM-Morganton Residential Program).
- For the Class of 2026, the UNC System Board of Governors extends the current waiver for standardized testing (SAT and/or ACT) for applicants applying for admissions to all UNC campuses, which include the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics.
Middle School Preparation
Although the application process is still a few years away (your second year of high school experience), we want you to keep NCSSM in mind. In addition to the current residential campus in Durham, NCSSM-Online, and Summer Ventures, NCSSM will welcome its inaugural class of 150 students on our new NCSSM-Morganton campus this fall. Middle school students will have the opportunity to apply (during their second year of high school) to these three academically rigorous, exciting, and challenging programs. To assist in preparing for these outstanding opportunities, we have created a checklist below:
- I am taking the most challenging classes available to me at my school.
- I am making great grades in my classes (striving for A’s).
- I am keeping a list of my awards, activities, and leadership opportunities.
- I am volunteering in my local community.
- I am spending time away from home participating in summer programs and enrichment programs.
- I am showing evidence of maturity, responsibility, and independence.
If you have questions regarding the admissions process, contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com.