NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WORKING TITLE: Residential Counselor
DEPARTMENT: Extended Learning – Summer Programs
POSITION LOCATION: Durham, NC or Morganton, NC
POSTING DATE: January 6, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled (priority consideration to applications prior to March 20, 2023)
POSITION TYPE: Temporary, 2-Month contract (June/July)
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $11.00/hour plus room and board during programs (housing not provided during the week of July 4)
NCSSM and the division of Extended Learning foster an environment of collaboration across departments and divisions and support community-engaged service and research. NCSSM is proud of the diversity of its student body and we seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool for this position. NCSSM is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, and we are strongly committed to increasing faculty and staff diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you are an individual with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Description of Duties:
Counselors are responsible for monitoring and supervising students, ensuring safety and wellbeing of students, and facilitating activities. Counselors create and execute high-quality programming for students, coordinate supplies and scheduling, and collaborate with coworkers and supervisors. Summer staff are student-focused and provide a welcoming environment for students and families by greeting and orienting on opening and closing days, eating meals with students, getting to know students individually, and providing customer service. Reports to Residential Life Leaders.
Applicants will support one of the following programs:
- NCSSM Summer Accelerator – Durham
- NCSSM Summer Accelerator – Morganton
- NCSSM Step Up To STEM and INSPIRE – Durham, Morganton, and Elizabeth City
- Counselors are required to live on campus and are provided a furnished dorm room. Three meals a day and internet access.
- Complete staff training prior to the start of programs.
- Counselors must be able to work variable schedules including days, nights, and weekends, with most work occurring in the afternoons and evenings.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- High school diploma and 18 years of age.
- Demonstrated interest in youth development and/or recreational programming
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Willingness to drive students in 7- to 15-passenger vans (or larger vehicle with CDL license) to and from off-campus activities
- At least one year of college or full-time employment
- First aid and CPR certified
- Responsible, thoughtful, mature, and creative with excellent problem-solving skills
- Experience working in residence life, education, recreational programming, and/or youth development
- Able to take initiative and work well in a collaborative environment
- Excellent communication skills
North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM) is a world-class public high school with statewide reach empowering academically talented students from diverse backgrounds from every corner of the state to design their own future. We offer residential high school programs in Durham and Morganton for juniors and seniors or virtual high school courses and programs that students can take alongside their local curriculum, all tuition free. Our wide array of summer offerings for rising 5th- through 12th-graders includes free opportunities for in-state students alongside paid options for students from anywhere in the world. NCSSM Extended Learning partners with communities and regions to advance student learning and outcomes.
Specializing in science, technology, engineering, and math, and embracing the fine arts and humanities, NCSSM has become the model for 18 such specialized schools around the globe since its founding in 1980 and is a full constituent of the University of North Carolina System. NCSSM’s Ignite + Transform comprehensive campaign seeks to raise $50 million in private support for our mission.
The new NCSSM-Morganton campus opened in 2022 for summer programs and its first fall academic term. NCSSM-Morganton focuses on the booming fields of data science and artificial intelligence, preparing the leaders of tomorrow to navigate a future driven by data and machine learning, with emphasis on the humanistic implications and ethical use of these tools.
Nearly two-thirds of NCSSM graduates earn a bachelor’s degree in a STEM field — over three times the national average, including 58 percent of our underrepresented minority graduates, which is nearly four times the national average. Nearly three-quarters have earned or are seeking a graduate degree. A 2020 economic impact study found that 54 percent of our alumni continue to live and work in North Carolina, catalyzing nearly $1.3 billion in annual economic activity. NCSSM embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and seeks to recruit employees who share these values.