Who can apply?
- Students in their second or third year of high school who have not already participated in Summer Ventures in Science and Mathematics.
- Students must currently attend high school in North Carolina or meet our residency requirements.
- Students with proven academic ability, motivation in STEM fields of study, and emotional maturity.
- Students may apply to both Summer Ventures and Governor’s School, but they must choose one if accepted to both programs.
- Students may apply to both Summer Ventures and North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM). Students must choose between Summer Ventures or the NCSSM Durham or Morganton residential program if accepted to both. NCSSM Online students can attend Summer Ventures.
- A student on the NCSSM Durham and Morganton residential waiting list who is later accepted may attend Summer Ventures.
Summer Ventures is a cost-free program to accepted students. Meals while on campus are included.
What do I need to apply?
Applicants must provide:
- Student application
- Confidential STEM teacher evaluation
- Confidential English teacher evaluation
- Confidential counselor evaluation
- Evidence of academic performance
*Earlier due date: The application will be due January 5, 2024.*
Summer Ventures uses the same application process as used for NCSSM Durham, Morganton, and Online program admissions. Choose “Summer Ventures” when prompted which program(s) you are applying.
- Applicants must have each section of the CFNC.org electronic application completed by January 5, 2024. There are no exceptions to this deadline.
- After the application closes on CFNC, applicants will receive an email with access information to Blackbaud.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ask their teachers and counselor to complete an evaluation on their behalf and add that information in Blackbaud.
- Late January 2024: Applicant/Family receive access to Blackbaud portal to input teacher and counselor information for evaluations. Applicants will be able to submit a transcript using CFNC.org’s Transcript Manager or by visiting their high school guidance counselor.
- February 28, 2024: Deadline for receipt of electronic Teacher and Counselor Evaluation Forms and deadline to submit a transcript.
- March 27, 2024: Notification of applicants through Blackbaud.
What happens after I apply?
Applicants will be able to follow their progress during the admissions process using a secure NCSSM web link. After the application questions deadline on January 05, in February, each applicant will be emailed a link and password to monitor their application process and final status. Applicants will be able to track receipt of their transcript and evaluations. Please note that it takes 3-5 business days for transcripts to be processed and received in Blackbaud.
October 15, 2023: Application opens
January 5, 2024: Application essays due at 11:59 p.m.
February 28, 2024: Transcripts, teacher and counselor evaluations due at 11:59 p.m.
March 27, 2024: Students notified of decisions
Summer 2024: Program dates for each campus vary, but historically are 4 weeks long. Applicants must be available from mid-June to early August. In 2023, most programs ran late June to late July.
- App State — Dates not yet available
- East Carolina — Dates not yet available
- UNC-Charlotte — Dates not yet available
- UNC-Wilmington — Dates not yet available