Printing via the NCSSM network is available to faculty, staff, and students.
Fees for Printing
The cost for for printing is $0.05 per page for black and white and $0.10 per page for color.
Adding Pages to Your Network Printing Account
Students can purchase additional network printing pages in the Library during normal operating hours. Purchases are made in $5 increments and must be paid for with cash.
The locations and names of the network printers are listed below. Students can print to either of the two printers located in the Library. Faculty and staff can print to any of the printers.
|Communications Center (Ground Bryan)||ColorCopierCommunications|
|First Bryan Mailroom||Copier1stBryan|
|First Watts Room 105||Copier1stWatts|
|*Library: Smart Bar||Smartbar|
|PEC Room 118||CopierPEC|
|Second Watts Room 207||Copier2ndWatts|
*Two-sided printing is available. Choose File>Print, then Properties. Select Two-sided (Duplex) Printing. Click OK and then once again.
Adding a Network Printer to Your Computer
Steps for Adding a Printer to a Windows-based System
- Close all the applications you have open.
- Hold down the Windows button on your keyboard and hit the R key to open a Windows run dialog box.
- Type cmd in the box and hit Enter to open a command prompt.
- Type the following*: start \\Potassium\Smartbar or start \\Potassium\Library (note the space between start and the two backslashes)
- When prompted enter your username and password. Username should be typed in as ncssm\your username. Note: This will take a while! Depending on the time of day it could take from 5 to 15 minutes. If it takes longer than that, take it to ITS, because you have another issue.
Steps for Adding a Printer to a Macintosh Computer
Mac OSX v10.5 or later
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Choose Print and Scan from the View menu.
- Click the + to add a new printer
- Select the Advanced icon. (If you do not have the Advanced icon on the toolbar:
- Press the Control key while clicking an icon on the toolbar, then choose Customize Toolbar from the contextual menu that appears.
- Drag the Advanced (gear) icon onto the toolbar.
- Click Done.
- Once the window populates (it may take a moment), pull down the Type menu and select Windows
- Set the URL field to smb://Potassium/Smartbar or smb://Potassium/Library (substitute another printer name from above for Smartbar if appropriate)
- Set the Name field to smartbar printer or library printer. Otherwise, the printer will be known as Potassium.
- Pull down the Print Using menu and select Generic PostScript Printer
- Click on Add
- Once you're ready to print for the first time, you'll be asked for credentials to do so.
- Your username should include: ncssm\username
- Your password should be your ncssm password.
- Be sure to save the information in your keychain to prevent you from having to enter it each time you print.
- Note: you may need to do this twice for the first time you print to a newly added printer. Why? Only Steve Jobs knows and he's not talking.
The printer is now configured and selected as the default (which you may change in the Print and Scan window).
Steps for Mapping a Printer to your Profile on the Computer Lab computers
- In the bottom left-hand corner click (or touch) the Windows icon.
- Select Control Panel.
- Select Hardware and Sound.
- Click or touch on Add a Printer.
- Click on Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
- Click on The printer that I want isn't listed.
- In the box type in \\POTASSIUM\ and this will bring up a list; from that list select \\POTASSIUM\Smartbar or \\POTASSIUM\Library
- Click on Next.
- Click on Finish. (don't print a test page please)